- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laundering by another name
Question of the Day
In "Financial meltdown putting Hondurans at risk" (A10, Tuesday), a Honduran legislator is quoted as saying state officials have a "tendency ... to abuse state resources that they control to fund their campaigns." In the United States, legislators don't directly take state resources to fund their campaigns -- they are more circumspect.
Billions are appropriated to fund "green" projects to placate environmental extremists. Billions were appropriated to fund salaries of unionized state employees in the $800 billion stimulus in order to placate unions. Any "emergency" funding (i.e., Superstorm Sandy recovery) is stuffed with funding for projects that have nothing to do with recovery of the areas or people in need. Of course, those benefiting from the appropriated largesse return the favor through campaign contributions.
Honduran legislators put funds directly into their pockets. American legislators launder funds through favored groups. We had better wake up.
JOSEPH R. FARRELL
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title