- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Naomi Campbell: Supermodel wins libel case over elephant polo
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over an article that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner’s birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Miss Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin’s 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Miss Campbell’s lawyer, Gideon Benaim, told a judge at London’s High Court that the story was “simply false and the criticisms unfounded.”
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, “attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell.”
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph’s publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published, but she said she was “glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper’s apology.”
The amount of the damages, described as “substantial,” was not disclosed.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow