- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Naomi Campbell: Supermodel wins libel case over elephant polo
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over an article that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner’s birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Miss Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin’s 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Miss Campbell’s lawyer, Gideon Benaim, told a judge at London’s High Court that the story was “simply false and the criticisms unfounded.”
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, “attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell.”
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph’s publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published, but she said she was “glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper’s apology.”
The amount of the damages, described as “substantial,” was not disclosed.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014