- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Naomi Campbell: Supermodel wins libel case over elephant polo
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over an article that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner’s birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Miss Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin’s 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Miss Campbell’s lawyer, Gideon Benaim, told a judge at London’s High Court that the story was “simply false and the criticisms unfounded.”
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, “attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell.”
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph’s publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published, but she said she was “glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper’s apology.”
The amount of the damages, described as “substantial,” was not disclosed.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors