- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Naomi Campbell: Supermodel wins libel case over elephant polo
LONDON (AP) — Model Naomi Campbell accepted libel damages Thursday from a British newspaper over an article that falsely claimed she was planning an elephant polo match in India for her partner’s birthday.
The November article in the Daily Telegraph said Miss Campbell was going to organize the tournament in Jodhpur for partner Vladimir Doronin’s 50th birthday. The article included criticisms from animal-welfare activists.
Miss Campbell’s lawyer, Gideon Benaim, told a judge at London’s High Court that the story was “simply false and the criticisms unfounded.”
He said the article was widely republished in the Indian press and elsewhere, including over the Internet, “attracting a storm of adverse publicity against Ms. Campbell.”
Julia Varley, lawyer for the Daily Telegraph’s publisher, told the court the newspaper regretted running the article.
The 42-year-old model said in a statement that the allegations should never have been published, but she said she was “glad that the matter has been resolved and I accept the newspaper’s apology.”
The amount of the damages, described as “substantial,” was not disclosed.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.