- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
HARRIS: Ravens-49ers Super Bowl prediction can go either way
The Ravens will win the Super Bowl.
I attended the Western Athletic Conference’s football media day in Salt Lake City in 2010. Guest of honor at my table was Nevada’s dynamic quarterback Colin Kaepernick. I’m sure he remembers it just as fondly as I do. There’s the connection I’ve been looking for all week.
The 49ers will win the Super Bowl.
Welcome to the prognostication portion of my brain, which has been malfunctioning for the overwhelming majority of its 56 years. Other than a few Kentucky Derbies and some success in various NCAA tournament office pools, my batting average in the world of predictions would make Davey Johnson recoil. The safest way to make any money on my picks, if you’re into that sort of thing, is to go all-in the other way.
But I’ve been told a columnist in a city with an NFL team has to make a Super Bowl prediction (and here I thought no one had even noticed). So I’ll oblige and make a prediction. And earn a headache in the process.
I love crab cakes. I love sourdough bread. So the food angle is a wash.
I enjoy visiting Baltimore. I’d surrender body parts to live in San Francisco. Edge to the 49ers.
The coaches are brothers (did you know that?), so that’s a wash. The family ties angle is a tie.
When the playoffs started, I was convinced beyond all doubt we’d be waiting to watch Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos take on Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl. No question that was going to be the matchup. Two of the game’s top quarterbacks going at it.
Did anyone pick a 49ers-Ravens matchup?
Truth is, this is an outstanding matchup. Probably a better matchup than the Broncos-Packers would have been. It’s good to get some new faces in the spotlight. And the quarterback clash is likely going to be more fun to watch than Manning-Rodgers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Washington Times sports editor Mike Harris has more than 30 years experience in the business as a reporter, columnist and manager. He’s covered a wide variety of events including two Olympics, horse racing, auto racing, professional and college sports. E-mail him at email@example.com and follow the section on Twitter @WashTimesSports.
- HARRIS: Wizards have moved to head of D.C.'s class
- HARRIS: Bad luck or bigger omen, early returns for Nationals are troubling
- HARRIS: Masters has plenty of appeal in Tiger's absence
- HARRIS: Throwing it all away: What to do with Ryan Zimmerman?
- HARRIS: Fans get an early taste of replay's impact on baseball
Latest Blog Entries
- Gio Gonzalez living a dream by throwing bullpen sessions to ex-Yankee Jorge Posada
- Meet Connor Carrick, the youngster who played his way onto the Caps' final roster
- Go Aggies: Nationals notes and lineups for Sept. 14
- RG3: There is no conflict with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan
- Sunday Nats-Dodgers lineups and some thoughts from reliever Craig Stammen
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- DeLAY: Hearings offer ripe target in Obamacare battle
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.