- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
New haul of Anglo-Saxon gold declared ‘treasure’
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - It's official: Some of the 90 pieces of gold and silver found in central England last year have formally been declared to be treasure.
Archaeologists found the haul in the same English field where an amateur treasure-hunter in 2009 discovered the largest find of Anglo-Saxon gold, silver and precious stones ever recorded.
South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh confirmed Friday that most of the new haul is treasure, meaning that it is at least 300 years old and is made up of at least 10 percent precious metal. Anyone who finds an object believed to be treasure here must report it.
The British Museum said the original hoard, found by an unemployed man searching a farmer's field with a metal detector, is valued at 3.3 million pounds ($5.4 million).
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Homeland Security adviser tweets America is 'Islamic country'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs