- North Korea: Not a single vote cast against Kim Jong-un
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Sides in NHL labor fight meet with mediator
NEW YORK — The NHL and the union are meeting separately with a federal mediator but have no plans yet to negotiate.
Federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh is talking with representatives from the players’ association and league Friday in an attempt to return the parties to the bargaining table after they spent most of Thursday apart.
The lockout is in its 111th day. The sides have one week to reach a deal on a collective bargaining agreement that would allow for a 48-game season — the minimum the NHL has said it will play. Commissioner Gary Bettman set a Jan. 11 deadline for a deal so the season can begin eight days later.
The sides met twice Thursday for small meetings, with one session regarding the pension plan. They never got together for a full bargaining session.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- As Ukraine falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again