- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Headed for an even bigger cliff
Question of the Day
Once again, a dysfunctional Congress has passed a dysfunctional bill under pressure from the resident-in-chief in the White House (“‘Fiscal cliff’ compromise deal betrays lack of courage,” Commentary, Monday). This bill does nothing to improve the economy of this country.
If this trend of huge tax hikes and no spending cuts continues, Mr. Obama will soon achieve his ultimate goal, turning the United States of America into the United Socialist States of America. Anyone who believes that the fiscal cliff was averted by this bill is mistaken. What’s coming next will make that crisis look like a bunny slope. We are headed for fiscal disaster if the people do not stop buying into the class warfare that’s been rapidly escalating during the past 18 months.
The president’s message of prosperity through income distribution or, as he calls it, “sharing the wealth,” is a fallacy. It is a socialist concept conceived to keep the populace under the government’s control. The former Soviet Union tried it and it failed. Versions of it have been used in England, France, Spain, Italy and Greece. Look at the mess they are in now. Do we want to go the same route? Higher taxes are not the answer. Successful people can only be pushed so far. At some point, they will take their businesses, wealth and expertise to another country that will appreciate them more.
America is no longer the country I grew up in. The opportunities and freedoms to live your dreams and enjoy the achievements that come from hard work are no longer valued. Most people are looking for the easy way out, and the government is happy to accommodate them for political gain. From my perspective, the changes I’ve seen in the more than eight decades I’ve been around is very disturbing. I see a government gone amok. Washington has become a den of vipers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens