- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Headed for an even bigger cliff
Once again, a dysfunctional Congress has passed a dysfunctional bill under pressure from the resident-in-chief in the White House (“‘Fiscal cliff’ compromise deal betrays lack of courage,” Commentary, Monday). This bill does nothing to improve the economy of this country.
If this trend of huge tax hikes and no spending cuts continues, Mr. Obama will soon achieve his ultimate goal, turning the United States of America into the United Socialist States of America. Anyone who believes that the fiscal cliff was averted by this bill is mistaken. What’s coming next will make that crisis look like a bunny slope. We are headed for fiscal disaster if the people do not stop buying into the class warfare that’s been rapidly escalating during the past 18 months.
The president’s message of prosperity through income distribution or, as he calls it, “sharing the wealth,” is a fallacy. It is a socialist concept conceived to keep the populace under the government’s control. The former Soviet Union tried it and it failed. Versions of it have been used in England, France, Spain, Italy and Greece. Look at the mess they are in now. Do we want to go the same route? Higher taxes are not the answer. Successful people can only be pushed so far. At some point, they will take their businesses, wealth and expertise to another country that will appreciate them more.
America is no longer the country I grew up in. The opportunities and freedoms to live your dreams and enjoy the achievements that come from hard work are no longer valued. Most people are looking for the easy way out, and the government is happy to accommodate them for political gain. From my perspective, the changes I’ve seen in the more than eight decades I’ve been around is very disturbing. I see a government gone amok. Washington has become a den of vipers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt