- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Headed for an even bigger cliff
Question of the Day
Once again, a dysfunctional Congress has passed a dysfunctional bill under pressure from the resident-in-chief in the White House ("'Fiscal cliff' compromise deal betrays lack of courage," Commentary, Monday). This bill does nothing to improve the economy of this country.
If this trend of huge tax hikes and no spending cuts continues, Mr. Obama will soon achieve his ultimate goal, turning the United States of America into the United Socialist States of America. Anyone who believes that the fiscal cliff was averted by this bill is mistaken. What's coming next will make that crisis look like a bunny slope. We are headed for fiscal disaster if the people do not stop buying into the class warfare that's been rapidly escalating during the past 18 months.
The president's message of prosperity through income distribution or, as he calls it, "sharing the wealth," is a fallacy. It is a socialist concept conceived to keep the populace under the government's control. The former Soviet Union tried it and it failed. Versions of it have been used in England, France, Spain, Italy and Greece. Look at the mess they are in now. Do we want to go the same route? Higher taxes are not the answer. Successful people can only be pushed so far. At some point, they will take their businesses, wealth and expertise to another country that will appreciate them more.
America is no longer the country I grew up in. The opportunities and freedoms to live your dreams and enjoy the achievements that come from hard work are no longer valued. Most people are looking for the easy way out, and the government is happy to accommodate them for political gain. From my perspective, the changes I've seen in the more than eight decades I've been around is very disturbing. I see a government gone amok. Washington has become a den of vipers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives