- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lip service doesn’t fund PACs
The rifle used in the massacre of the Sandy Hook Elementary School children in Newtown, Conn., was not an “assault” weapon (“U.S. gun support runs far deeper than politics,” Web, Dec. 25). It was a Bushmaster single-shot rifle. All the politicians calling for an “assault” weapons ban should inform themselves about automatic and semiautomatic weapons. Just because the Bushmaster looks like an automatic weapon doesn’t make it so.
Here’s what all those officeholders beating their breasts, pounding their desks and giving lip service will get done: nothing. Here’s why: They’re dependent on the donations of the National Rifle Association (NRA) to their political action commitees. Without the help of gun owners, they’ll never be able to fund their campaigns and remain in their offices with all the perks they’re so used to.
The “assault” weapons ban of 1994 that expired in 2004 did absolutely nothing to reduce gun killings. So let the peevish politicians cast their ballots and see which ones vote against gun owners’ wishes and money.
When all is said and done, the biggest question for our do-nothing officeholders will be what time is dinner — and who’s picking up the tab?
TIMOTHY D. O’REILLY
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control