- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: First lady losing obesity war
About 70 percent of chronic disease is related to obesity. But have no fear, the first lady is on top of it. I must acknowledge that when Michelle Obama announced obesity to be her greatest concern, I thought, just maybe, amid all of the destruction this administration has heaped on the U.S. population, Mrs. Obama would do something constructive. It is not as though she lacks the education or the experience.
I thought she would give a few speeches, rattle a few cages and challenge the status quo. It is way past time that the six-figure earners at the various health-related government agencies get called out on the advice they have been handing out for the past 30 years. Just eat the politically acceptable, ultra-processed, whole grain, fruit- and vegetable-heavy, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, jog five miles per day, and you will look just like Mrs. Obama — right? Try it and more than likely you will end up a diabetic before the age of 20.
The National Institutes of Health spent $1 billion in the 1990s on the Women’s Health Initiative and could not find a link between the politically acceptable diet and heart disease or cancer. Don’t waste your time reading the cholesterol content labels on the processed foods you buy. The cholesterol is esterified and is practically impossible for your body to absorb anyway. In other words, the label is useless and nonsensical. You would think some of this stuff would upset Mrs. Obama, at least between vacations.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable