- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ignoring the looming financial iceberg
There is an iceberg ahead. It can and will sink our financial ship if we do not steer clear of it. During the most recent “fiscal cliff” deal, President Obama and Congress failed to take action on the real problem in Washington: They have a serious spending addiction.
Mr. Obama would not even admit as much, however. He claims that it is a revenue problem and wants to increase taxes. This signifies a denial of reality in Washington. They are spending us into poverty. This deal cut $1 in spending for every $41 in additional taxes. It was a joke. Congress continues to spend money we don’t have on things we don’t need.
It is clear to me that our politicians have an addiction to irresponsible spending. I suggest we, as concerned citizens, take up a collection to put these benevolent leaders on a sort of Shoppers Anonymous plan. They continue to kick this can down the road. If we do not address this financial tipping point now, there will be disastrous consequences that will affect the futures of our children and grandchildren. It is sad to think that the notion of each American generation leaving the next generation better off has disappeared.
We are approaching the debt ceiling again, and there will soon be a debate about how to resolve this problem. Will our elected officials finally take serious action to correct this course?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: I do