- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ignoring the looming financial iceberg
Question of the Day
There is an iceberg ahead. It can and will sink our financial ship if we do not steer clear of it. During the most recent “fiscal cliff” deal, President Obama and Congress failed to take action on the real problem in Washington: They have a serious spending addiction.
Mr. Obama would not even admit as much, however. He claims that it is a revenue problem and wants to increase taxes. This signifies a denial of reality in Washington. They are spending us into poverty. This deal cut $1 in spending for every $41 in additional taxes. It was a joke. Congress continues to spend money we don’t have on things we don’t need.
It is clear to me that our politicians have an addiction to irresponsible spending. I suggest we, as concerned citizens, take up a collection to put these benevolent leaders on a sort of Shoppers Anonymous plan. They continue to kick this can down the road. If we do not address this financial tipping point now, there will be disastrous consequences that will affect the futures of our children and grandchildren. It is sad to think that the notion of each American generation leaving the next generation better off has disappeared.
We are approaching the debt ceiling again, and there will soon be a debate about how to resolve this problem. Will our elected officials finally take serious action to correct this course?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- TYRRELL: The birth of a new alignment in the Middle East
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama