- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ignoring the looming financial iceberg
There is an iceberg ahead. It can and will sink our financial ship if we do not steer clear of it. During the most recent “fiscal cliff” deal, President Obama and Congress failed to take action on the real problem in Washington: They have a serious spending addiction.
Mr. Obama would not even admit as much, however. He claims that it is a revenue problem and wants to increase taxes. This signifies a denial of reality in Washington. They are spending us into poverty. This deal cut $1 in spending for every $41 in additional taxes. It was a joke. Congress continues to spend money we don’t have on things we don’t need.
It is clear to me that our politicians have an addiction to irresponsible spending. I suggest we, as concerned citizens, take up a collection to put these benevolent leaders on a sort of Shoppers Anonymous plan. They continue to kick this can down the road. If we do not address this financial tipping point now, there will be disastrous consequences that will affect the futures of our children and grandchildren. It is sad to think that the notion of each American generation leaving the next generation better off has disappeared.
We are approaching the debt ceiling again, and there will soon be a debate about how to resolve this problem. Will our elected officials finally take serious action to correct this course?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine