- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Blame to go around in school shooting
Who is responsible for the terrible Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting? Once you get past the shooter himself, there is still plenty of blame to go around.
Perhaps we should start with the politicians. Many Democrats have been trying to disarm the American public since the days of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Following the “Bonus Marchers” of 1932, there was the ban on automatic weapons, the National Firearms Act of 1934. Like they did with Obamacare, the Democrats are playing the long game of disarming the American public.
Do they care less about children who don’t go to schools with armed guards than they do about the federal employees at buildings with armed protection? While the Obama administration has eliminated two school security programs to save money, at the federal building on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, there are armed guards and you have to remove your shoes, belt and everything metal on your person just to get inside.
Furthermore, the so-called American Civil Liberties Union is responsible for getting thousands of mentally ill people out of institutions and onto the streets. In Connecticut in 2012, the ACLU successfully killed a bill that would have made it easier to commit mentally ill people. Congratulations, ACLU.
I am happy see that teachers across the country — men and women alike — are demonstrating with their wallets and feet as they flock to gun stores to purchase new firearms, and to shooting ranges to learn how to operate them. These teachers understand that if another shooting occurs, the police could be minutes away, as they were in Sandy Hook, while a teacher with a personal firearm is close at hand.
Van Nuys, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws