- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Blame to go around in school shooting
Who is responsible for the terrible Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting? Once you get past the shooter himself, there is still plenty of blame to go around.
Perhaps we should start with the politicians. Many Democrats have been trying to disarm the American public since the days of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Following the “Bonus Marchers” of 1932, there was the ban on automatic weapons, the National Firearms Act of 1934. Like they did with Obamacare, the Democrats are playing the long game of disarming the American public.
Do they care less about children who don’t go to schools with armed guards than they do about the federal employees at buildings with armed protection? While the Obama administration has eliminated two school security programs to save money, at the federal building on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, there are armed guards and you have to remove your shoes, belt and everything metal on your person just to get inside.
Furthermore, the so-called American Civil Liberties Union is responsible for getting thousands of mentally ill people out of institutions and onto the streets. In Connecticut in 2012, the ACLU successfully killed a bill that would have made it easier to commit mentally ill people. Congratulations, ACLU.
I am happy see that teachers across the country — men and women alike — are demonstrating with their wallets and feet as they flock to gun stores to purchase new firearms, and to shooting ranges to learn how to operate them. These teachers understand that if another shooting occurs, the police could be minutes away, as they were in Sandy Hook, while a teacher with a personal firearm is close at hand.
Van Nuys, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults