- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Saudi once questioned in Boston terror attack attends White House hero celebration: report
Question of the Day
Abdul Rahman Alharbi, once a person of interest in the April 15 Boston Marathon bombings, attended the White House for a Fourth of July celebration for military heroes and their families, The Blaze first reported and a law enforcement official later confirmed.
Photos of Mr. Alharbi attending the event were posted from a Twitter account that reportedly belongs to his father.
“We attended the celebration with my son Abd Al-Rahman and my son Issa,” a translated version of one of the father’s tweets read.
According to The Blaze, a recent post from the account links to a July 6 report from the Arab daily newspaper Al-Hayat, that reads: “Today [Saturday] the Al-Hayat newspaper published a news item stating that Abd Al-Rahman and his family had been invited by the White House to participate in America’s Independence Day celebrations.”
A White House pool report indicated that it was an invitation-only event: “The President and First Lady [celebrated] the 4th by hosting ‘military heroes and their families’ along with administration staff and families at a White House barbecue and concert on the South Lawn.”
The Blaze warned that the father’s Twitter account could be a fake, but later reported that a law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the investigation into the Boston Marathon Bombing confirmed that the person in the photo is indeed Mr. Alharbi.
The Saudi national was named a “person of interest” in the Boston bombings, was put on a terror watch list and was reportedly set for deportation in April on “security and related grounds.”
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano denied the rumors of deportation when she was confronted by Rep. Jeff Duncan at a press conference on April 18.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Pro-Palestinian protesters stage 'die-in' outside Seattle Boeing offices
- Mass. superintendent fined for plagiarizing graduation speeches
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Chicago-area cop kills dog in front of 6-year-old owner, witnesses say
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq