- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bow before Valkyrie, NASA’s ‘superhero robot’ entry in DARPA challenge
- 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy suspended for pretend bow-and-arrow shooting
- Tea partiers turn on Capitol Hill budget deal
- Budget deal to get quick vote in the House
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro ‘marriage’
- Sebelius calls for review of Obamacare rollout woes
- American dream dying, but many see free market as solution: Poll
- Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hezbollah, Snowden set sights on Latin America
Iran and one of its de facto military wings, Hezbollah, may be bankrolling WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is biding his time under the protection of the Ecuadorean Embassy in London. U.S. fugitive Edward Snowden is apparently awaiting safe passage out of Moscow's Sheremetyevo International Airport for a Latin American destination.
Iran and Hezbollah are active in a number of Latin American countries — remember the movie "The Boys from Brazil"? Just replace "Nazis" with Middle Eastern nemeses ("Russian official says Snowden should go to Venezuela," July 8).
Chile, Paraguay, Colombia, Argentina and others apparently offer quid pro quo access to Iran and Hezbollah. Recall that Iran tasked Hezbollah with bombing a Jewish community center in Argentina in 1994, killing 85 people.
We, of course, have dramatic recourse should we choose to invoke the Monroe Doctrine of U.S. military intervention to respond to an attempt to "colonize or interfere" with North or South America.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
Get Breaking Alerts
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MILLER: Dick Heller challenges D.C.s gun registration, files for summary judgment in Heller II