- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Tour de France 2013: Chris Froome stays in overall lead as Matteo Trentin wins hilly 14th stage
American Tejay van Garderen and Frenchman Blel Kadri closed the gap but were unable to sustain their attack and fell back.
Froome saved his legs for Sunday — which is Bastille Day, France’s national day. Judging by the thousands of people who turned out on the roadside to cheer on Saturday’s stage, the atmosphere on Ventoux promises to be electric.
Froome’s Sky teammates have clearly struggled in two stages so far — the second one in the Pyrenees on stage 9 and Friday’s flat stage — and he needs them to be at their best to repel any attacks from Contador on Ventoux.
Following Monday’s rest day, Contador will have his eye on the grueling climbs of the final week in the high Alps.
Although Wednesday’s 17th stage is strictly a time trial, it is a rolling one which suits Contador more than the time trial on stage 11 earlier this week, where he lost more than two minutes to Froome.
After that there are three straight days of tortuous climbing — including two ascents up the famed l’Alpe d’Huez pass in one day on stage 18. The next two days both feature two Hors Categorie climbs each — so tough they are considered beyond classification.
The race ends the following day with a night time finish on the Champs-Elysees.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.