- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Air Force finds funds to let Thunderbirds soar again
Popular Thunderbirds demonstration team also to return to the air
The Thunderbirds, the Air Force’s iconic air demonstration squadron, will soon take the skies again, after being temporarily grounded by defense budget cuts in April.
The decision comes after Congress approved a Pentagon request to reprogram about $7.5 billion from lower priority programs to more urgent ones.
As a result, the Air Force has $208 million to restart about 16 combat units that had been grounded, such as the 1st Fighter Wing based at the Langley Air Force Base in Virginia.
“The resumption of flying units in the combat Air Force represents the Air Force’s commitment to current combat readiness,” said spokesman Vic Johnston for the 633rd Air Base Wing.
The other units are fighter, bomber, and airborne warning and control system squadrons. The decision was made Friday, and operations can start Monday, but will take a few days to implement, Mr. Johnston said.
“Combat readiness is not a light switch we can turn on and off. It’s going to take some time, effort and expense to get back up to speed,” he said.
An Air Force spokesman said the Thunderbirds’ demonstrations won’t start until next calendar year. The squadron, which flies F-16 Falcon fighter jets, is based at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas.
The restoration of funds means they can start training again and be ready to perform a limited number of demonstrations in 2014, the spokesman said.
“It takes a lot of training to do what they do, and a lot of skill,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.