- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- Suspected drunken driver kills 2 at South by Southwest festival, police say
- Student protester shot, killed amid Venezuela unrest
- ‘Between Two Ferns’ director rushes to Obama’s defense, blasts O’Reilly
- Marine springs into action, runs down and tackles alleged Boston purse snatcher
- Education Department botching loan-amnesty program: GAO review
- Snowden: NSA uses fake Facebook to hack into users’ computers
- Tearin’ up my tweet: ‘N Sync’s Lance Bass promotes wrong Obamacare website
Van Jones mocks Zimmerman trial: Black kids have to wear tuxedos to buy candy
Reacting to the not-guilty verdict in the George Zimmerman murder trial, noted liberal Van Jones asked: What? Do black children now have to dress up to go buy candy?
Or, in his own words: “Do I now have to dress my kid in a tuxedo so he can go buy Skittles?”
His statement referred to the fact that Trayvon Martin, 17, was dressed in a hoodie and making a trip to a local convenience store to buy Skittles when he was shot and killed by Mr. Zimmerman in February 2012. An all-female jury found Mr. Zimmerman innocent of all charges late on Saturday.
In an appearance on Sunday on CNN’s “Crossfire” with Newt Gingrich, a former speaker of the House and Republican presidential candidate, Mr. Jones furthered the argument of Martin supporters who saw Mr. Zimmerman’s not-guilty verdict as a travesty of justice, based on racial discrimination.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- GOP takes aim at Texas with new PAC to woo females
- Joe Scarborough on mid-terms: Democrats should be worried
- Obama to order businesses to hike overtime pay for salary workers
- 'Shut up your mouth, Obama' video goes viral from Egypt
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- John Kerry says any resumption of aid to Egypt would depend on reforms in Cairo
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Dog left in car blasts horn for 15 minutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again