- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: IRS instills fear
Question of the Day
Lighting fireworks on July Fourth didn’t restore freedom taken by the tyranny of the Internal Revenue Service. Reading the Declaration of Independence underscored this nation’s return to conditions our Founding Fathers found intolerable: government use of fear to take property and control citizens.
The tax code threatens liberty. It cannot be understood by those who must comply with it or live in fear of penalties imposed by the IRS. A law that cannot be understood is not a law derived from the consent of the governed. For those who are audited, the basic principle of trial by jury is replaced by presumed guilt. The accused must prove his innocence. The 16th Amendment must be repealed. End the IRS.
Missouri Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder recently said, “No law-abiding American should ever have to fear a call from a government official.” The IRS, a tool of fear used by politicians to control citizens and businesses, and to reward friends and punish enemies, has no place in a free society. Only the proposed “fair tax” would end the IRS and repeal the 16th Amendment.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border