- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
Bob Filner: Grabby San Diego mayor is keynote speaker for conference on sexual assault
San Diego's Mayor Bob Filner is scheduled to be the keynote speaker at a conference on sexual assault in the military next month.
Mr. Filner, a self-described "hugger," is facing allegations that he sexually harassed several female staffers. He responded to the claims in an interview on Tuesday, saying he simply needs to "have a greater sense of awareness" to prevent future misunderstandings, the Huffington Post reported.
The National Women Veterans Association of America was initially planning to honor the Democrat in a "lifetime of leadership awards ceremony" at its gala in August for his work as chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs, but the group has since decided to back out of the award.
He is, however, still the keynote speaker for the event.
"Due to the recent events of allegations of sexual harassment, admission of inappropriate behavior by the Mayor and his personal cry for help, National Women Veterans Association of America has removed the mayor from being honored at the benefit gala to support the Military Sexual Assault Community," the group said in a press release. "He is now the keynote speaker on these injustices."
"We do not tolerate sexual discrimination at any level within our society," the group's president Tara Jones said in a statement to the Huffington Post.
Former Filner supporters have said the mayor "forcibly kissed two constituents and grabbed the buttocks and breast of a staff member," the Los Angeles Times reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- U.N. warns of Muslim 'cleansing' in Central African Republic
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Nation's first center that provides abortions and birthing opens in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tattoo artist draws outrage for inking his dog
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- CPAC 2014: Huckabee says government impeding religious liberty
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again