- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Navy cracking down on alcohol sales on bases
The Navy is cracking down on alcohol sales at its bases and mini-marts in order to tackle sexual assaults, the chief of naval operations said Friday.
"We are finding that somewhere between six out of 10 and seven out of 10 sexual assaults as reported involves alcohol, the majority ... they're alcohol-fueled," Adm. Jonathan Greenert said at a Pentagon press briefing.
The sale hours for alcohol at base stores will be reduced, and store placement of alcohol will be changed to align with the Navy community's efforts to tackle sexual assault, Adm. Greenert said, noting that some of the larger mini-marts on some bases sell alcohol until very early in the morning.
"What message are we sending here when we do that? So I said, look, let's do the mainstream here," he said. "It's really [about] encouraging responsible use of alcohol and not pushing it out on our folks so hard."
According to Pentagon statistics, there were an estimated 26,000 incidents of unwanted sexual contact in 2012 among the four services.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.