- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Tour de France 2013: Simon Gerrans takes yellow jersey in team time trial
Now Gerrans is wearing a Tour leader’s jersey of his own.
He was part of the Orica Greenedge squad that won the team time trial by less than 1 second Tuesday in the fourth stage, putting him in the overall lead.
One day in yellow doesn’t place him in the category of his famous countrymen Phil Anderson, the first Aussie to wear the coveted jersey in 1981, or Cadel Evans, the 2011 Tour winner.
“Phil was the first Australian to wear the yellow jersey and now to be the latest Australian to wear the yellow jersey, it’s a very special feeling,” he said.
Considered an outsider to win the 15.5-mile dash along the streets of the southern seaport of Nice, Orica edged pacesetter Omega Pharma-Quickstep by 0.75 seconds and finished in 25 minutes, 56 seconds. The top four teams finishing within 10 seconds of each other.
Gerrans, who is not a contender for overall victory, hopes to keep the jersey for “a couple more days.” The next two stages are mostly flat, so he may well be able to protect his lead if there are no crashes or he gets another stage win like he did on Monday.
The Orica riders formed a circle and then hugged and slapped each other on the back when they were sure of the win.
Race favorite Froome’s Sky team finished third, 3 seconds off the pace, while rival Contador’s Saxo-Tinkoff finished 9 seconds back.
By Tom Fitton
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow