- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
MSNBC host Ed Schultz: Detroit became a ‘conservative Utopia’
“Detroit, Michigan, used to be really a symbol of industrial strength and manufacturing in this country. But, thanks to a lot of Republican policies, the city is now filing for bankruptcy,” Mr. Schultz said.
While delivering his monologue on “The Ed Show,” the host showed a graphic of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, President Ronald Reagan and Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder above the headline “conservative utopia,” Mediaite.com first reported.
He blasted the Republican governor’s hiring of emergency manager Kevin Orr, who, Mr. Schultz said, “failed miserably” at saving Detroit from collapse and slashed public services so badly that people moved away, depriving the city of vital tax revenues.
“It is a very vicious cycle,” Mr. Schultz said. “It’s the Republican way.”
On Friday, MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean concluded that small-government policies led to the Motor City’s downfall.
“This is what it looks like when government is small enough to drown in your bathtub, and it is not a pretty picture,” Ms. Harris-Perry said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carnival Triumph passengers seeking $5,000 a month for life
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for 'outside' cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns' to pitch Obamacare
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again