- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
MSNBC’s Michael Eric Dyson blames racism for Detroit bankruptcy
Question of the Day
MSNBC contributor Michael Eric Dyson argued Sunday that racism is to blame for Detroit’s financial woes, after the once-booming industrial metropolis filed for bankruptcy last week.
Host Ed Schultz asked if race could be responsible for the city’s downfall.
“Of course, it’s an 85 percent black city,” Mr. Dyson replied. “It’s been perceived as a colony of black people who are ringed by suburban white areas that are now going into the city to plunder it. The perception is that there is a massive takeover of resources and materials and properties, basically being occupied.”
“We have to acknowledge that part of this has to be the racial animus that has characterized that city for the last 50-some-odd years,” he continued. “The service industries hemorrhaged jobs in the inner city, depleted that city of its economic infrastructure and left it to its own fate.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- 'Orange is the New Black' popularity forces Mich. sheriff to order uniform change
- Bad business: Fla. car dealership gives woman refund in pennies
- Little Rock Air Force Base on lockdown due to 'suspicious individual'
- White flags baffle NYPD: 'We're lucky it wasn't a bomb'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq