- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Heeeere’s Johnny! ‘Tonight Show’ highlights available online for first time
Question of the Day
NEW YORK - Heeeere’s Johnny on iTunes!
For the first time, content from “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” is available for digital download.
Starting Tuesday, two volumes of material from the King of Late Night can be purchased from the iTunes store.
A compilation edition (priced at $14.99) includes highlights from the 1960s through Carson’s emotional farewell show and his memorable next-to-last show with guest Bette Midler, which aired in 1992.
A second volume ($19.99) features 16 “Tonight” episodes with some of Carson’s favorite guests, including Don Rickles, Jay Leno, Steve Martin, Jerry Seinfeld, Betty White, David Letterman and Ellen DeGeneres in one of her first TV appearances.
In addition, a selection of 50 “Tonight”-derived alert tones (with such signature catchphrases as “Here’s Johnny!,” “Hi-yo!” and “We’ll be right back”) will be available for 99 cents each.
This online release follows the digitization of 4,500 hours of “Tonight” hosted by Carson during his 30-year run on NBC.
“I have a pretty good sense of where the nuggets can be found,” he said. “We go back and try to find things that are representative of what the show was and that are still entertaining.”
And there’s plenty more to come.
His dream: to put every show online for instant download. It’s an achievable goal, he said, though a slew of legal clearances remain before it can happen.
“We just want to see how much demand there is for these first releases,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq