- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
HURT: Race obsession obscures good Samaritan George Zimmerman
George Zimmerman swoops back into the spotlight, this time saving the day. He and another good Samaritan arrived on the scene of an accident just in time to help rescue two adults and two children trapped inside their burning vehicle that had turned over.
My very first thought was, “OK, how can the media turn this into an issue about race?”
Well, it didn’t take long. Within hours of the news breaking, The Great White Media had tracked down the single-most important detail of this story about life and death.
“Crash Victims Were White,” declared the headline on the TMZ website. Somehow, it mattered to The Great White Media that the victims were not black.
Why, you ask? Well, it is because The Great White Media is absolutely obsessed with race. That is partly because they themselves are an almost exclusively white club and the strangeness of other races confuses them and intrigues them. Also, they struggle with anything more complex than that which is skin deep.
Take the tragic shooting death of Trayvon Martin at the hands of Mr. Zimmerman. It is a heart-breaking story. But that is not enough. It must be twisted into a story about a white man’s gun violence against a profiled black teen. That is why the media had to declare that Mr. Zimmerman, whose mother is Hispanic, is actually a “white Hispanic.”
Nothing entertains The Great White Media like the blood of a black teen shed at the hands of a “white” man.
That is why they were so delighted to see their “white” villain re-emerge from hiding. Even better, Mr. Zimmerman was reprising his role as “wannabe cop” and became a “wannabe EMT.”
Nothing brought more mockery and scorn from The Great White Media than their notion that Mr. Zimmerman was a “wannabe cop” who joined the neighborhood patrol and kept close tabs on things going on around his house and those of his neighbors.
Anywhere in America, this would be called a “good neighbor.” To The Great White Media, this is called a “racist, profiling, hate-filled white Hispanic.” Dialing 911 is the most heroic thing they would ever do.
Even level-headed liberals lamented that Mr. Zimmerman was somehow thrust to the level of hero after the tragic struggle in which an unarmed, black teen was killed.
Mr. Zimmerman was not elevated to hero for shooting a kid. Every decent parent in America agonized over that. What was heroic was that before he ever encountered Trayvon in the darkness, Mr. Zimmerman voluntarily patrolled his neighborhood in an effort to keep his family and neighbors safe from crime. There are few higher callings than that.
It is the same high calling that spurs Americans to stop when they see a family trapped in a vehicle, overturned and in flames, and race into danger to help save two children and two adults.
We are reminded this week that America is not, thank God, an aristocracy. We are a nation of Samaritans — all of us lowly and scorned in some kind of way. But so often, our hearts are good and we seek to help our fellow man.
About the Author
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- HURT: Let us all give thanks for George Mason and the Bill of Rights
- HURT: Obama is a greater threat than Toronto's crack mayor Rob Ford
- HURT: It's the Democrats, not the GOP, facing a looming civil war
- HURT: Sarah Palin knew a death panel when she saw one
Why such hatred toward America's freedom of religion?
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- Activists encourage Obama to circumvent Congress, use more executive authority
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama lived with Uncle Onyango Obama in the 1980s, White House admits
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Understanding economic events with a free market explanation
John Wood illustrates a new American politics, and the path to get there.
White House pets gone wild!