- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
HURT: Race obsession obscures good Samaritan George Zimmerman
George Zimmerman swoops back into the spotlight, this time saving the day. He and another good Samaritan arrived on the scene of an accident just in time to help rescue two adults and two children trapped inside their burning vehicle that had turned over.
My very first thought was, “OK, how can the media turn this into an issue about race?”
Well, it didn’t take long. Within hours of the news breaking, The Great White Media had tracked down the single-most important detail of this story about life and death.
“Crash Victims Were White,” declared the headline on the TMZ website. Somehow, it mattered to The Great White Media that the victims were not black.
Why, you ask? Well, it is because The Great White Media is absolutely obsessed with race. That is partly because they themselves are an almost exclusively white club and the strangeness of other races confuses them and intrigues them. Also, they struggle with anything more complex than that which is skin deep.
Take the tragic shooting death of Trayvon Martin at the hands of Mr. Zimmerman. It is a heart-breaking story. But that is not enough. It must be twisted into a story about a white man’s gun violence against a profiled black teen. That is why the media had to declare that Mr. Zimmerman, whose mother is Hispanic, is actually a “white Hispanic.”
Nothing entertains The Great White Media like the blood of a black teen shed at the hands of a “white” man.
That is why they were so delighted to see their “white” villain re-emerge from hiding. Even better, Mr. Zimmerman was reprising his role as “wannabe cop” and became a “wannabe EMT.”
Nothing brought more mockery and scorn from The Great White Media than their notion that Mr. Zimmerman was a “wannabe cop” who joined the neighborhood patrol and kept close tabs on things going on around his house and those of his neighbors.
Anywhere in America, this would be called a “good neighbor.” To The Great White Media, this is called a “racist, profiling, hate-filled white Hispanic.” Dialing 911 is the most heroic thing they would ever do.
Even level-headed liberals lamented that Mr. Zimmerman was somehow thrust to the level of hero after the tragic struggle in which an unarmed, black teen was killed.
Mr. Zimmerman was not elevated to hero for shooting a kid. Every decent parent in America agonized over that. What was heroic was that before he ever encountered Trayvon in the darkness, Mr. Zimmerman voluntarily patrolled his neighborhood in an effort to keep his family and neighbors safe from crime. There are few higher callings than that.
It is the same high calling that spurs Americans to stop when they see a family trapped in a vehicle, overturned and in flames, and race into danger to help save two children and two adults.
We are reminded this week that America is not, thank God, an aristocracy. We are a nation of Samaritans — all of us lowly and scorned in some kind of way. But so often, our hearts are good and we seek to help our fellow man.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Adam Lanza's dad: He would've killed me 'in a heartbeat'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again