- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Texas police arrest 2 illegal immigrants in gang-rape of girl, 13
Question of the Day
Police in Austin, Texas, arrested two Mexicans and held them on immigration detainers, after a 13-year-old girl came forward last week and claimed she was gang-raped by up to 13 men.
Arrested were Juan Lozano Ortega, 25, and Edgar Derardo Guzman Perez, 26, police say, the Examiner reported. Both were charged with aggravated sexual assault of a child, and incarcerated in the Travis County Jail on immigration detainers, the Examiner reported.
The girl was a runaway from the Settlement Home for Children. She was picked up on June 29 by three men of Latino descent and taken to an apartment complex and raped by a group of men, police said, in the Examiner. Police report there were up to 13 attackers, and some cheered and videotaped during the incident.
Court documents say the attack went on for hours, into the early June 30 morning. The girl was then dumped in a nearby neighborhood and told "to find somewhere to go," court documents say, the Examiner reported.
Police was able to track the two suspects they arrested using the location of cell phone call the girl placed to her foster brother.
Doctors examining the girl say her injuries are consistent with her claims, the Examiner reported. Austin authorities are seeking the identities of the other suspects.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and 'KILL my son!'
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs