- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Hillary Clinton won’t be first female president
- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
Air Force general confident about interceptors, despite failures
The Air Force general in charge of U.S. missile defense expressed confidence Wednesday in the ground-based interceptor missile defense system, despite its three successive test failures.
“I am still confident that the system will perform in its limited defense role. But I’m concerned with the recent test failure,” Air Force Gen. C. Robert Kehler, commander of U.S. Strategic Command, said at a defense writers breakfast in Washington.
The system, which is designed to shoot down missiles heading toward the U.S., failed its most recent test earlier this month. Its last successful test was in 2008.
The Defense Department announced in March plans to add 14 interceptors to the 30 in its missile defense system on the West Coast by fiscal 2017, and is studying placing a system on the East Coast. The Obama administration decided to add the missiles in response to North Korea’s provocations.
In debate this week over the 2014 defense spending bill, Democratic lawmakers failed to remove nearly $110 million to install the new interceptor missiles and redirect the money toward deficit reduction.
“The [interceptor missile] program is simply a failure so far,” Rep. Jared Polis, Colorado Democrat, said Tuesday.
Gen. Kehler said that additional testing of the system is a “priority call within the resources that are available for missile defense.”
“It is critically important to make sure we understand what went wrong here, make that sure that we understand what the fixes are, and that we go fly, and make sure the fixes are in place,” he said, adding that he would like to see the system tested once a year.
“I still have confidence in the system, but I think we have work to do with the test program to make sure we sustain that level of confidence,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.