- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Joe Mauer’s twins: Minnesota catcher’s wife gives birth to daughters
Question of the Day
ANAHEIM, Calif. — If there is something Joe Mauer knows well, it’s twins.
The Minnesota Twins catcher welcomed twin girls this week, the first children for he and wife Maddie.
Mauer left the team before Tuesday night’s game against the Angels to fly home to Minnesota. He made it in time for the birth of Emily and Maren early Wednesday, according to Twins director of baseball communications and player relations Dustin Morse.
Mauer was placed on the paternity leave list before Wednesday’s game. Catcher Drew Butera was recalled from Triple-A Rochester.
Butera, who spent the last three years as Mauer’s backup, has been with Rochester all season, batting .215 in 79 at-bats after recovering from a broken left hand. Mauer, a six-time All-Star, played in 92 of the first 96 games until Tuesday.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Eugenie Bouchard pulls out of D.C.'s Citi Open
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq