- Pentagon: U.S. F-16 fighter jets to train with Poland near Ukraine
- Jerry Sandusky’s wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Ben Carson: America’s now ‘very much like Nazi Germany’
- Heroin found on N.J. toddler at day care
- Pistorius trial: Police conduct faces scrutiny
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- CBO chief: Projected job loss numbers from minimum wage hike are fluid
- Rep. Rangel: ‘No question’ Harlem explosion is result of gas leak, not terrorism
- Dog left in car blasts horn for 15 minutes
- DCCC chair hopes Alex Sink will run again in November
CAMPBELL: RG3 gets Redskins camp off to harmonious start by buying into Mike Shanahan’s plan
Sitting out preseason games, though, will leave an element of his psychological recovery until the regular season. He won’t know for sure how his knee will respond to eluding tacklers and getting hit at game speed.
“Getting to 100 percent is getting back out there on the field, getting out there with the guys, making football-like movements, because you can’t mimic those,” he said. “You can’t mimic instincts, when a guy’s pass-rushing you. You can’t really mimic what you’re going to do.”
But that’s the trade-off for being smart about these final days of his recovery. As soon as Griffin crumpled to the mangled FedEx Field turf in January, this never was going to be a perfect situation. That uncertainty is part of the downside.
Griffin’s willingness to accept that burden entering the regular season is a promising sign for these Redskins. He is putting his long-term health, which coincides with the team’s best interest, ahead of any short-term anxiety he might have. It’s a sacrifice that exudes leadership.
By doing so, he’s extending a hand to Shanahan.
“I am an overachiever,” Griffin said, “but I want to make this decision as easy for everybody as possible.”
Easy decisions — what a concept. Harmony is a critical step toward victory, so training camp is off to a productive start.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Female TSA officers say pat-down duty leads to workplace discrimination
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again