- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
‘God help New York’ if Anthony Weiner is mayor: Sydney Leathers’ mother
Anthony Weiner's new online mistress has been identified as 23-year-old Sydney Leathers, and her mother is no fan of the New York City mayoral candidate.
"I have nothing to say except God help New York if he gets to be mayor. You can print that," Laura Leathers told the New York Daily News at her home in Allendale, Ill.
Her daughter reached out to the embattled Democrat on Facebook soon after he resigned from Congress in June 2011, and the two started an online sexual relationship that lasted until at least January of this year.
A former friend of Miss Leathers' told the Daily News that Sydney told her last summer she was texting Mr. Weiner.
"I go, 'Really? THE Anthony Weiner, Mr. Penis Guy?" the 26-year-old woman recalled asking. "I said, 'Doesn't he have a wife?' She said, 'Oh yeah.' She just kind of brushed it off like it was nothing."
"She knew exactly what she was doing when she put herself into that," the woman added.
Several former high school classmates told the Daily News they weren't surprised to see Miss Leathers in the news.
"Her main goal is to become famous," said one, who asked not to be named.
Another said, "She will take any opportunity to make the attention hers," the Daily News reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- U.N. warns of Muslim 'cleansing' in Central African Republic
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Nation's first center that provides abortions and birthing opens in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tattoo artist draws outrage for inking his dog
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again