- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Parents Day gives caregivers a national shoutout
Emma Loftin-Woods became a parent for the second time when she was 46.
After raising her two daughters to adulthood, Ms. Loftin-Woods found herself responsible for her two young grandchildren who were born addicted to drugs.
Today, 17-year-old Sean is excited about getting his driver’s license. His younger sister Jamalia, 16, is an aspiring actress. And Ms. Loftin-Woods, 63, is the proud recipient of an Excellence in Parenting Award — one of hundreds of honors bestowed on deserving mothers and fathers as part of National Parents Day.
“Parents Day is every day,” said Ms. Loftin-Woods, who lives in Yonkers, N.Y. “Even though I’m a grandparent, I’m still in a parenting role. I do make mistakes, and yes it is challenging, but I’ve learned that family is the greatest expression of God’s love.”
National Parents Day began in 1994, when former President Bill Clinton signed a bill establishing “the fourth Sunday of every July as ‘Parents Day’ to be recognized as a recurring, perennial day of commemoration.”
The resolution instructed celebrations at both the state and local level “to recognize Parents Day through proclamations, activities, and educational efforts in furtherance of recognizing, uplifting, and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children.”
The National Parents Day Coalition, which promotes the annual celebration, is part of the American Family Coalition, which was started by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder of The Washington Times.
“It takes fathers and mothers together raising children, to bring about healthy families,” said Jim Gavin, president of the Universal Peace Federation USA, which also promotes National Parents Day. The peace federation was also started by Moon.
“We want to celebrate the joint effort of fathers and mothers working to raise great families,” he added.
“Nobody owns Parents Day,” Mr. Gavin explained. “Because it’s a national holiday, just like the Fourth of July, it’s celebrated in cities and states and all over the place.”
Various Parents Day celebrations are scheduled for the weekend, while others have already been held across the country. Last weekend, awards for Parents of the Year in New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and West Virginia were handed out, including the excellence award for Ms. Loftin-Woods.
Ms. Loftin-Woods, who is an evangelical minister, was widowed 10 years ago. Along with raising her two grandchildren on her own, she’s also been a part of the lives of her four other grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She spends her free time volunteering with fellow ministers to build their churches.
Ms. Loftin-Woods was chairwoman of the Parents Day celebration in Yonkers for two years and was nominated by fellow board members. She said it was important to recognize single parents as well as two-parent families.
“You’re going to have your problems and ups and downs. Human nature does that,” she said. “But overall there’s nothing more beautiful than a family.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
- Higher Ground: Sex Pistol Superstar
- Younger generations lead move as Americans lose faith in the Bible, poll shows
- Jesuits mourn well-loved priest, murdered in Syria
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.