- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Pro-choice’ means willing to end life
The article “Judge blocks fetal heartbeat abortion ban” (Web, July 22) includes a report on a personhood amendment passed by the North Dakota legislature that voters will decide on in November 2014. Opponents of the measure, which will amend the state constitution to say “the inalienable right to life of every human being at any stage of development must be recognized and protected,” say it would force a single religious view — that life begins at conception — on everyone.
The scientific fact is that a new individual life begins at conception. This is not a religious tenet; it is a biological fact, first adduced in 1855 when David Storer of Harvard Medical School said, “Life begins at conception.” In 1871, the American Medical Association said it is a “scientific fact that human life begins … at conception.” In his 1993 work, “Practical Ethics,” second edition, pro-choice professor Peter Singer wrote: “There is no doubt that from the first moments of its existence an embryo conceived from human sperm and eggs is a human being.” Alan F. Guttmacher, a onetime president of Planned Parenthood, wrote in his 1933 book, “Life in the Making: The Story of Human Procreation,” that human life begins when the sperm fertilizes the ovum: “This all seems so simple and evident to us that it is difficult to picture a time when it was not part of the common knowledge.”
Abortion proponents appear ignorant or dishonest when they argue against the humanity of the preborn, but when they acknowledge that reality and persist in their position of “abortion on demand,” they reveal their willingness to knowingly kill innocent, defenseless human beings.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'