• 63 percent overall say the content of those communications is also being collected; 64 percent of Republicans, 58 percent of Democrats and 67 percent of independents agree.
• 56 percent overall say federal courts fail to provide adequate limits on data collection; 59 percent of Republicans, 51 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of independents agree.
• 50 percent overall approve of the federal data collection program; 44 percent of Republicans, 57 percent of Democrats and 47 percent of independents agree.
• 47 percent overall say the news media should report on secret methods government uses to fight terrorism; 43 percent of Republicans, 45 percent of Democrats and 51 percent of independents agree.
• 27 percent overall believe the government “listened to or read” their calls and emails; 27 percent of Republicans, 23 percent of Democrats and 29 percent of independents agree.
Source: A Pew Research Center poll of 1,480 U.S. adults conducted July 17 to 21.
• Murmurs and asides to email@example.com