- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Inside the Beltway: Martha’s Vineyard tail numbers
“If Enroll America is designed to benefit insurance companies instead of the American public, then its charitable status no longer applies,” says Dan Epstein, executive director of the watchdog group. “An organization that has been granted tax-deductible status but is actually depriving the American people of taxable revenue warrants an investigation.”
PLEASE REPORT ON THE IRS
Why don’t the news media cover the IRS scandal anymore? High-profile conservatives including Rush Limbaugh and David Bossie already have complained that scant coverage has dwindled down to no coverage of the federal agency’s targeted interest in the tax-exempt status of certain conservative groups. The 26-member coalition has some Capitol Hill help.
Republican Reps. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Michele Bachmann of Minnesota have joined their cause, along with 160 tea party leaders from around the nation who demand “constant, merciless scrutiny” of the IRS matter.
Royal infants get way more attention. A Media Research Center analysis found that ABC, CBS and NBC devoted 187 minutes to cover the birth of bonnie Prince George during a three-day period last week. But wait. In 75 days, they gave the IRS matter 157 minutes, even as new questions about improper use of funds, large bonuses and other irregularities in the agency surfaced.
“President Obama and his squawking parrots in the liberal media are calling the IRS scandal ‘phony,’ and the networks have scrubbed it from their broadcasts. But the everyday Americans targeted by this historic abuse of power don’t think it’s phony,” declares Brent Bozell, founder of the Media Research Center.
“This very real, very damaging political scandal is creating a massive credibility problem not only for the IRS, but for the networks who refuse to report it,” he says.
And among his 25 allies: American Values President Gary L. Bauer, Conservative HQ founder Richard Viguerie, Concerned Women for America President Penny Nance, Tea Party Nation founder Judson Phillips, Reagan historian Craig Shirley, the Rev. Lou Sheldon of the Traditional Values Coalition, and the American Family Association’s Tim Wildmon.
POLL DU JOUR
• 57 percent of Americans say that “a good woman is hard to find”; 50 percent of women and 63 percent of men agree.
• 55 percent of Americans overall say a “bold and experienced woman” is the most desirable; 56 percent of women and 54 percent of men agree.
• 39 percent overall say “being a good mother” is the most important quality for a woman to have; 39 percent of woman and 38 percent of men agree.
• 33 percent overall say “brains” is the most important quality; 35 percent of woman and 30 percent of men agree.
• 33 percent say a “sweet and innocent” woman is most desirable; 29 percent of women and 37 percent of men agree.
• 17 percent overall say a sense of humor is the most desirable feminine quality; 17 percent of women and 18 percent of men agree.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
- 4 MILLION WORDS: the U.S. Tax Code is seven times the length of 'War and Peace'
- Inside the Beltway: Lawmakers watch over the A-10
- IRKED: Seven out of 10 Americans say members of Congress are paid too much
- Inside the Beltway: McConnell gets affection from the NRA
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes