- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
Liberty, not leftism, protects all
Question of the Day
Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson and the ACLU are bringing suit against a woman who sells flowers for a living (“Wash. state attorney general sues florist for refusing to supply flowers to a same-sex wedding,” Web, April 11). For years, she has sold flowers to two men who happen to be homosexual. The men asked her to do the floral arrangements for their upcoming same-sex union, but she declined, stating that her conscience, morals and religious beliefs did not allow her to participate actively in such an event.
For most Americans steeped in our basic values of liberty, this would be a no-brainer. The ACLU and the state authorities should be passionately defending this woman; instead, they are attacking her. The attack is one focused on the heart of our American values system. America is in a cultural war as deep and passionate as the Civil War. It is nonviolent, but just as important. It is not between Democrats and Republicans. It is between the values of leftism and America. Leftism is deeply entrenched in such organizations as the ACLU and now in state and federal governments. American values, on the other hand, hold that liberty, religious freedom and freedom of conscience are supreme.
All that also includes the liberty of a homosexual florist not to be coerced by government to work for, say, a “Keep Marriage Between a Man and a Woman” convention of evangelical Christians. It includes the liberty of a pro-choice photographer to decline to work for a Catholic pro-life conference. Leftism clashes daily with liberalism. That is what all this is about.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens