- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
Liberty, not leftism, protects all
Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson and the ACLU are bringing suit against a woman who sells flowers for a living (“Wash. state attorney general sues florist for refusing to supply flowers to a same-sex wedding,” Web, April 11). For years, she has sold flowers to two men who happen to be homosexual. The men asked her to do the floral arrangements for their upcoming same-sex union, but she declined, stating that her conscience, morals and religious beliefs did not allow her to participate actively in such an event.
For most Americans steeped in our basic values of liberty, this would be a no-brainer. The ACLU and the state authorities should be passionately defending this woman; instead, they are attacking her. The attack is one focused on the heart of our American values system. America is in a cultural war as deep and passionate as the Civil War. It is nonviolent, but just as important. It is not between Democrats and Republicans. It is between the values of leftism and America. Leftism is deeply entrenched in such organizations as the ACLU and now in state and federal governments. American values, on the other hand, hold that liberty, religious freedom and freedom of conscience are supreme.
All that also includes the liberty of a homosexual florist not to be coerced by government to work for, say, a “Keep Marriage Between a Man and a Woman” convention of evangelical Christians. It includes the liberty of a pro-choice photographer to decline to work for a Catholic pro-life conference. Leftism clashes daily with liberalism. That is what all this is about.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers