Martina Hingis plans to return to the Washington Kastles next year, and an upcoming slate of WTA doubles commitments could open the door for the former prodigy to rejoin the women's tour.
After finishing the 2013 season Sunday night with a World Team Tennis title, the third straight for Washington, the first-year Kastles player vowed to be back.
"My first experience was a [lot of] pressure coming in," Hingis said. "The feeling that I have to be part of this team [is great] because they worked so hard to get there and I'm just trying to be part of it. "
The Kastles defeated the Springfield Lasers 25-12 Sunday night behind the roar of what Hingis believes is the best crowd in Team Tennis.
"Every night that we came out here the fan support was unbelievable," Hingis said. "I played in many stadiums but this is so D.C. and so Washington. Here everybody is on your side at like every point. "
Hingis also announced her return to the WTA tour just days after she was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame earlier this month. At the age of 32, she is returning solely to doubles competition alongside Daniela Hantuchova — for now.
"I feel good in doubles," she told the New York Times. "I always said I was a much better doubles player than a singles player, because [of] the hands I always had, obviously. The intelligence about doubles is about teamwork, and it's also necessary to have the right partner, and I think in Daniela I have a great partner. We'll just see how it goes."
According to the Times, Hingis has committed to five doubles events, starting this week in Carlsbad, Calif., and continuing through the U.S. Open.
This will be the third time Hingis comes back from retirement, but Hingis is just excited to have completed her goal for this past month — bringing the fourth championship to Washington in the past five years.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.