- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama aiming to destroy middle class
So President Obama is back to being the lord protector of the middle class. I remember his presidential campaign in 2008 and wondered at that time: What kind of Democrat is this, not to obsess over the poor? “Obama gets poor rankings on mentions of ‘poverty’” (Web, July 8) confirms this.
Many writers have made the easy jump to chapter seven of Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals” to illustrate and decry Mr. Obama’s divisiveness as an exact implementation of that Marxist’s rules. Unfortunately, by being satisfied with pointing out the obvious, these writers have missed Alinsky’s epiphany after a lifetime of community agitation among the poor: America’s white middle class is where the power lies. We are belatedly beginning to understand this. If all the low-income parts of our population were organized, it would not be powerful enough to get significant, basic needed changes.
Second, if you cannot win over the lower middle class, at least parts of it must be persuaded to agree to a series of partial agreements and a willingness to abstain from hard opposition as changes take place. And the final job of today’s radical is to fan the embers of hopelessness into a flame to fight.
Mr. Obama has very clearly embodied Alinsky’s epiphany about the middle class. He has been pushing all the buttons of fear, division and partisanship on the one hand, and government benefits and promises of jobs on the other. The very last thing Obama wants, however, is a rising economy and people working. A good economy and jobs deflates the revolutionary possibilities. Every regulation, tax and Obama decree is geared to destroying the middle class. When people are living hand-to-mouth or living on benefits and having to jump through myriad regulatory hoops, they are unable to unite and fight the coming authoritarianism.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Broncos-Chargers game ends with several stabbings
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- American missing in Iran was CIA operative who went rogue
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- KEENE: James Clapper should resign for lying to Congress