- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
Allow Taiwan into IMF
Question of the Day
Despite decades of dynamic economic growth and the emergence of a vibrant democracy, and with a population larger than that of Australia and that makes significant contributions to the world, Taiwan continues to be excluded from the International Monetary Fund (IMF). As a result, it is unable to fully participate in and contribute its vast resources to an international monetary and financial system.
Taiwan is home to one of the world's largest economies, with a GDP per capita eclipsing Japan's and nearly matching that of Germany. Taiwan needs access to information on the economic policies of all member countries, the opportunity to influence other members' economic policies, technical assistance in banking, fiscal affairs and exchange matters, and increased opportunities for trade and investment.
For these reasons, I think the exclusion of Taiwan from the IMF is wrong and unjust to the 23 million people of Taiwan. It is just so important for the United States to support full IMF participation for Taiwan.
Overseas Chinese Affairs Council
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic