- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Backward priorities
Question of the Day
Once again I see that President Obama hasn’t got a clue when it comes to leading this country or representing the American people. His latest comment regarding the National Security Agency secret-document leaker Edward Snowden comes while he is spending the taxpayers’ money on his supposedly official trip to Africa. He came out in public last week and stated that he is not going to call the Chinese or Russian presidents in regard to capturing Mr. Snowden because he “shouldn’t have to” (“Obama on Snowden: ‘I’m not going to be scrambling jets to get a 29-year-old hacker,’” Web, June 27).
Be that as it may, he apparently deemed a minor incident in Cambridge, Mass., in 2009, in which a friend of his was arrested, important enough to publicly chastise a police officer who was just doing his job. And when Mr. Obama held the infamous “beer summit” at the White House to make nice, that was important. When he called Sandra Fluke to commend her on her fight for contraceptives for women, that was important as well.
When it came to the armed New Black Panther Party members intimidating voters outside a voting station, however, he said nothing. When it came to the Fast and Furious gunrunning operation that got a border officer killed, he again said nothing. Instead, he shielded Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.
The president’s priorities at crucial points in his administration, from the Benghazi attack on our diplomatic post in Libya to the Internal Revenue Service attack on American citizens, have always proved backward. It should be obvious to all that Mr. Obama has an agenda that strips away the rights and protections of the American people and undermines our way of life. If we were in a war, I would say he is working for the other side.
GREGORY J. TOPLIFF
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine