- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Make smart Pentagon cuts
The military planned to cut strategically when the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were over. It did not, however, plan for the automatic sequestration budget cuts that are now furloughing National Guard and Reserve forces, grounding our combat aircraft and keeping aircraft carriers in port ("Army lays out plans to remove 80,000 soldiers; base communities brace for impacts," Web, June 25). Moreover, these across-the-board cuts are hurting veterans — slashing their job-training programs and reducing their access to homeless shelters and treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.
If Congress truly wanted to get tough on military spending it would implement strategic cuts that target the real culprits of Pentagon waste. That means cutting programs such as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), which nearly every defense expert has singled out as one of the most poorly managed defense programs in history. As defense experts have pointed out, the JSF underperforms compared with today's fighter jets in nearly every mission. Unluckily for us, it is also the most expensive defense program in history, weighing in at $1.5 trillion. I'm a pilot, and as much as I like flying new aircraft, I'd rather fly a better one with a few more miles on the odometer.
We can't sequester ourselves to fiscal responsibility. Congress needs to take the reins and make smart cuts to our budget.
CAPT. BOB RIDDER
U.S. Marine Corps (Retired)
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare