- Edge in Democrat-leaning Americans not enough to make up for GOP turnout: poll
- London mayor flies Palestinian flag at town hall to support Gaza
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Eric Cantor says he’ll resign on Aug. 18
- Ted Nugent slams ‘lying freaks’ at liberal media: I’m ‘doing God’s work’
- Joe Biden’s secret love: Skinny-dipping, Secret Service agents say
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Take it to the alley’ no solution
Question of the Day
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel tells violent gang members to take their shootings to the alleys of Chicago. What is this guy thinking?
Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country, but they are obviously not working. These strict, draconian gun laws are aimed only at the law-abiding; they have nothing to do with the criminals. Let the honest, safe citizens carry guns. Let them go through all the background checks and paperwork necessary to carry legally. You will see the crime rate drop fast in Chicago.
Putting up signs saying “Gun-free zones” or “Take it to the alley” is not the answer. Do you really think a gang member cares about a sign? Anti-gun efforts are not paying off in Chicago. The gun-buyback programs are just feel-good measures put in place to make people feel safe. Actually, it occurs to me that what appears to be growing violent crime in Chicago is exactly what Mr. Emanuel and the Democratic machine in Chicago desire. They are hoping that the people “demand” some sort of police and/or military action. That would enable the politicians to extend even more control over the citizenry.
We’re supposed to accept a certain amount of terrorist incidents as unavoidable. Are we now supposed to acknowledge that gangs have their own turf where they can terrorize whomever they please, as long as they stay away from the children? I suppose the next step is to grant gangs political sovereignty over certain areas of Chicago and give them diplomatic immunity from prosecution.
Wake up, Chicago.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Congress leaves Obama holding the burden of border children
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas 3-day cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- EDITORIAL: Pols' misrepresentations fuel public's cynicism about politics
- EDITORIAL: 'Operation Choke Point': A noose for business
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- EDITORIAL: Meriam Ibrahim's happy immigrant story