You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

San Diego nixes Mayor Bob Filner’s try at taxpayer dollars for legal bills

- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 31, 2013

San Diego City Council members voted unanimously — twice — late Tuesday to deny Mayor Bob Filner's request for taxpayers to provide his legal defense of several sexual harassment charges.

The council members decided 9-0 in two separate votes to deny the funds, CBS reported. So far, eight women have claimed he made unwanted sexual advances. Mr. Filner, who refuses to step down, asked the council for a tax-funded defense last week.

"His employers, San Diego taxpayers, did not have to bail him out for the mess he created," City Councilman Kevin Faulconer said, CBS reported.

The council president, Todd Gloria, was even blunter.

"San Diegans have every right to expect service from the mayor," he said, in CBS. "The mayor has no right to a blank check from San Diegans to defend his egregious behavior."

The lawsuit has been filed by Mr. Filner's former communications director.

The council's vote comes on the heels of another unanimous decision made Tuesday — to file a preemptive lawsuit against the mayor to recover any taxpayer monies that may be spent in the future, as they relate to his sexual harassment issues.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.