- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Say no to McAuliffe as governor
Question of the Day
Does Virginia need another do-nothing, know-nothing carpetbagger putting his nose into the business of the residents of the commonwealth (“First Va. gubernatorial debate gets sharp and personal between Cuccinelli, McAuliffe,” Web, July 20)? Terry McAuliffe’s presence in the Virginia gubernatorial race shows the desperation of the Obama administration.
The only reason I can see for his presence is his proven history of failed businesses, association with some of the worst political names in the country and a talent for exaggerating the trivial. Mr. McAuliffe’s resume mimics that of the current resident of the White House, except for the fact that we know far more about Mr. McAuliffe than we will ever know of President Obama until 2016.
My ancestors came to Virginia in the 1740s. They helped forge a new country, suffered through war and survived to thrive through love and devotion to Virginia. I do not want our history sullied by a candidate of so little substance as Mr. McAuliffe.
If Mr. McAuliffe does not feel confident enough to put his resume up for examination in his own state, why should any real Virginian give a thought to allowing him to be governor?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public