- Conrado Marrero dies at 102; ex-Senator was oldest living MLB player
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
Suspicious package in Arlington neighborhood causes hours of disruption
Authorities in Arlington closed streets and evacuated the county’s emergency operations center Thursday afternoon while investigating reports of a suspicious package in a van in the Courthouse neighborhood.
The incident disrupted businesses and traffic for several hours before officials using a remote-control robot determined that the van contained only carpeting. Streets were reopened around 6 p.m.
An Arlington sheriff’s deputy spotted what he believed to be suspicious truck earlier Thursday afternoon while walking from the area near the Courthouse AMC movie theater to the Arlington County jail.
Police shut down parts of North Courthouse Road, 14th Street and 15th Street near the scene.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Dave Boyer is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times. A native of Allentown, Pa., Boyer worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer from 2002 to 2011 and also has covered Congress for the Times. He is a graduate of Penn State University. Boyer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Traveling! Obama moves his 'pivot' foot back to Asia amid China's rise
- White House warily watching N. Korea nuke activity ahead of Obama tour of Asia
- 38 Republicans put aside differences for lawsuit challenging legality of Obamacare
- Obama to renew pitch for big free-trade agreement
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
Latest Blog Entries
- Obama and Boehner congratulate U.S. men's hockey on win over Russia
- Americans say income gap will shrink if government butts out, poll shows
- WH spokesman Jay Carney recognizes beard's 'insufficiency,' shaves it off
- Obama misses deadline again on budget
- Biden burns rubber in driveway, laments road restrictions
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014