- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Croatian history bears stain of Serb treatment
The Krajina Serbs emerged more than 400 years ago as refugees, fleeing from Ottoman rule and accepting the Hapsburgs’ invitation to man the military frontier (Krajina). They stubbornly adhered to Orthodoxy despite periodic attempts to convert them to Rome. They also resisted persistent, heavy-handed attempts to forgo their Serbian ancestry and become Croatians.
Catastrophe in the form of genocide struck the Krajina Serbs, as well as their Bosnian Serb brethren in 1941, the perpetrators being the Ustasha of the Nazi-puppet state of “Greater Croatia.” Many of those spared were forcibly converted en masse to Catholicism. Serb survivors played a leading role in the emergence of wartime resistance movements.
After the war, the Krajina region was incorporated within the federal unit of Croatia, whose communist-bequeathed constitution, in deference to the Ustasha genocide, recognized its Serbs as one of its two historical and constitutional peoples. In 1990, the Krajina Serbs took up arms when it became evident that a Franjo Tudjman-led, secessionist Croatia was unrepentant about its Ustasha predecessor state and would relegate the Krajina Serbs to second-class, minority status. In August 1995, the Krajina Serbs exited history as refugees, having been murderously cleared from their “U.N.-protected” ancestral lands by the U.S.-trained Croatian military.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert