- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
John Paul II cleared for sainthood; Pope Francis approves second miracle
The Catholic Church generally requires a two-miracle minimum as one condition of sainthood. But at the same time announcing the sainthood of Pope John Paul, Pope Francis also decided to canonize another — Pope John XXIII, who served from 1958 to 1963 — even though there’s been no second miracle affixed to his work, BBC reported.
Dec. 8 is a potential date, as it coincides with a major Catholic tradition, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, AP said.
Pope John Paul, born in Poland, headed up the Roman Catholic Church from 1978 through 2005, when he died.
“Fox & Friends” reported that the second miracle attributed to Pope John Paul stemmed from a woman who claimed her medical condition in her brain was cured after she prayed to him.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Rachel Canning revealed: Host let teen throw booze parties
- NBC on Bob Costas: Botox did not cause pink eye
- Woman born male sues CrossFit for gender discrimination
- Darrell Issa pressed by Black Caucus to say sorry to Elijah Cummings
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again