- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
- Rich Peverley collapses on Dallas Stars bench; game postponed
- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
LAMBRO: Obamacare goes wobbly
Implementation delay signals Democrats fear a lethal blowback
That’s exactly what is happening on Capitol Hill among Republicans who have been emboldened by Mr. Obama’s last-minute decision to delay the mandate’s implementation.
“Instead of simply delaying implementation of Obamacare, we should repeal it in its entirety,” said Chris Chocola, president of the free-market Club for Growth.
The message that the White House has been getting since the Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010 is that businesses will pare down their workforces to reduce their exposure to higher health care costs. It is now beginning to sink in.
Let’s not mince words. The White House’s decision to delay the mandate was driven by the nation’s weak jobs numbers and its looming political impact next year.
While the national unemployment rate remains around 7.6 percent, the bleak reality is that 18 states — including the most populous ones — have much higher jobless rates, and 15 of them are between 8 percent and 9.5 percent.
As long as these numbers persist, Mr. Obama’s employer mandate is dead in the water.
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Man with stolen passport on missing jet is asylum seeker
- Al Qaeda to launch English-language Web magazine 'Resurgence'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same