- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LAMBRO: Obamacare goes wobbly
Implementation delay signals Democrats fear a lethal blowback
That’s exactly what is happening on Capitol Hill among Republicans who have been emboldened by Mr. Obama’s last-minute decision to delay the mandate’s implementation.
“Instead of simply delaying implementation of Obamacare, we should repeal it in its entirety,” said Chris Chocola, president of the free-market Club for Growth.
The message that the White House has been getting since the Affordable Care Act was passed in 2010 is that businesses will pare down their workforces to reduce their exposure to higher health care costs. It is now beginning to sink in.
Let’s not mince words. The White House’s decision to delay the mandate was driven by the nation’s weak jobs numbers and its looming political impact next year.
While the national unemployment rate remains around 7.6 percent, the bleak reality is that 18 states — including the most populous ones — have much higher jobless rates, and 15 of them are between 8 percent and 9.5 percent.
As long as these numbers persist, Mr. Obama’s employer mandate is dead in the water.
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- KNIGHT: Can the ACLU force Catholic hospitals to perform abortions?
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics