- Child killed, 4 injured in Idaho elementary school bus crash
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop squandering taxpayer money, Mr. President
So more billions of U.S. taxpayer money is poured down the hole via the monotonous executive orders of our president (“Obama steps up aid to save Africa’s animals,” Web, July 1). We certainly want to save these wonderful animals, but what’s wrong with this picture?
While I personally value our treasured, God-given gifts of beautiful African animals and agree with the president that they should be protected from poachers, I just wish President Obama (if he insists on using his executive orders to allocate money to foreign countries) would seek approval from our Congress first. At the very least, he ought to show the same concern to protect our diplomats and troops who have been targeted in Benghazi, Libya, but were abandoned, and have the same deep concern to protect the human beings who are the victims of sex trafficking. Not to mention the protection we need for the millions of babies who are slaughtered by abortion.
It’s time to tell the president he is taking his executive-order privilege much too far when he reaches out to foreign countries and gives billions of America’s hard-earned money away without our approval. This is particularly important given that our brave soldiers are often faced with inadequate government support when they return from Afghanistan with missing limbs and other serious medical and family needs.
What next, dictator of the whole world? Does Mr. Obama feel he does not have to answer to anyone? Congress is supposed to represent our best interests, but its members say and do nothing, just letting the president pass whatever laws he sees fit. Unfortunately, some of these lawmakers would rather be loyal to their party than to their country.
Was this recent trip to Africa Mr. Obama’s defining moment for our Independence Day celebration yesterday? I don’t think it’s exactly what our Founding Fathers had in mind. We celebrated the 237th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Declaration of Independence, our freedom from dependence on kings, tyrants and other dictatorial forms of government.
Owings Mills, Md.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Why such hatred toward America's freedom of religion?
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Blast of winter weather heads to D.C. area
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom