- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
This Date In Baseball
1923 _ Lefty O’Doul, pitching for the Boston Red Sox, allowed 13 runs in the sixth inning to the Cleveland Indians, who won 27-3. In 1928, he was to return to the majors as a great hitting outfielder.
1936 _ The NL won its first All-Star game 4-3 at Braves Field in Boston.
1937 _ Lou Gehrig drove in four runs with a home run and a double to pace the AL to an 8-3 victory over the NL in the All-Star game at Washington’s Griffith Stadium. In attendance was President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1959 _ At Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, the first of two All-Star games played that season went to the NL, 5-4. The NL scored the tying and winning runs in the bottom of the eighth when Hank Aaron singled in a run and scored on a triple by Willie Mays.
1964 _ The NL beat the AL 7-4 in the All-Star game on Johnny Callison’s two-out, three-run homer off Dick Radatz in the bottom of the ninth inning at New York’s Shea Stadium. The win pulled the NL even with its rivals (17-17-1) for the first time since the series began.
1982 _ Harold Baines of Chicago hit three successive home runs, including a grand slam, to lead the White Sox to a 7-0 victory over the Detroit Tigers.
1998 _ Coors Field lived up to its billing as a hitter’s haven as the American League beat the Nationals 13-8 at Coors Field in the highest-scoring All-Star game in major league history. The 21 runs broke the record set in the AL’s 11-9 win in 1954.
2003 _ Shea Hillenbrand had his first three-homer game _ tying a major league record by homering in three consecutive innings _ and drove in seven runs as Arizona beat Colorado 14-6.
2004 _ Kazuhisa Ishii pitched a one-hitter in Los Angeles’ 11-0 victory over Arizona. Ishii retired his first 12 batters before giving up a leadoff walk in the fifth to Luis Gonzalez and a line single by Shea Hillenbrand. No one else reached base against Ishii, who went the distance for the second time in 72 starts.
2006 _ Cleveland Indians designated hitter Travis Hafner became the first player in major league history to hit five grand slams before the All-Star break when he connected in the second inning of a 9-0 win over Baltimore.
2008 _ Hiroki Kuroda of the Los Angeles Dodgers pitched seven perfect innings before giving up a double to Mark Teixeira in the eighth inning. Teixeira was the only baserunner allowed by Kuroda in his 91-pitch complete game 3-0 win over Atlanta.
2009 _ Paul Konerko hit three home runs, including a go-ahead grand slam in the sixth inning, to lead the Chicago White Sox to a 10-6 win over Cleveland.
2009 _ Alan Embree earned the win in Colorado’s 5-4 victory over Washington without throwing a pitch. He entered with two outs in the eighth and picked off Austin Kearns, who had singled off Joel Peralta. It was the first time a major leaguer had gotten a win without throwing a pitch since B.J Ryan for Baltimore at Detroit on May 1, 2003.
2010 _ Adam Dunn hit three home runs in a game for the first time in his career to lead Washington to a 7-6 win over San Diego. Dunn hit a three-run shot in the first inning, added a solo homer in the third and capped his power show with a leadoff drive in the eighth that landed in the seats above the out-of-town scoreboard in right-center field.
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.