- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Andretti teams go from 1st to worst at Pocono
Sato never returned and was 22nd.
“I think I misjudged it,” Sato said. “We came off the corner and I lost the back end and slid into Ryan. Extremely sorry to Andretti Autosport and crew.”
That left Andretti, who had turned Pocono into a one-man show. He topped the speed charts of both practice sessions, and then smashed the track record with a two-lap average speed of 221.273 mph to win the pole.
Pocono is considered a hometown track for the Andrettis, who hail from nearby Nazareth. Marco’s father, Michael, owns the team. His grandfather, Mario, was one of racing’s greatest drivers and is still a regular at the track.
The local kid led the field to green _ then led the race for 88 laps. He was ahead of the field, even as the team realized fuel would be an issue.
“We knew early,” about fuel concerns, Andretti said. “I think we should have responded quicker.”
They didn’t do it fast enough. Andretti simply didn’t have enough fuel to go to the distance in the 400-mile race and finally ran out just after his No. 25 Chevrolet crossed the finish line. He finished 10th and made the long walk back to the garage.
“We were just so dominant,” a despondent Marco said. “I’m just absolutely gutted.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.