- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Wyoming gas plant explosion sends entire town fleeing
- Aborted fetuses from British Columbia incinerated in Oregon plant to make electricity
- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declaration of Independence ignored
Many — especially, it seems, judges — appear to consider Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence merely a statement.
But as Andrew P. Napolitano points out in "Jefferson is weeping" (Commentary, July 5), the Declaration of Independence is the law of the land. It is in the U.S. Code Annotated, preceding the Constitution of the United States.
The Declaration, with its Creator-endowed life and liberty, is the moral foundation; the Constitution is the structure built on that foundation.
In bypassing the Declaration of Independence, it appears judges and others have used their godless interpretations of the Constitution as weapons to crumble the morality of the nation.
On the Jefferson Memorial in Washington are the words: "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" Jefferson is truly weeping.
THOMAS J. PIERPOINT
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- In the company of a saint: Catholic Church will canonize Pope John Paul and Pope John XXIII
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- NAPOLITANO: A legal way to kill?