- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
- Holiday cheer: Airline grants Christmas wishes for 250 unsuspecting passengers
- U.S. vet held in North Korea says statement was coerced
- NTSB hearing on San Francisco airliner crash postponed
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Declaration of Independence ignored
Many — especially, it seems, judges — appear to consider Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence merely a statement.
But as Andrew P. Napolitano points out in "Jefferson is weeping" (Commentary, July 5), the Declaration of Independence is the law of the land. It is in the U.S. Code Annotated, preceding the Constitution of the United States.
The Declaration, with its Creator-endowed life and liberty, is the moral foundation; the Constitution is the structure built on that foundation.
In bypassing the Declaration of Independence, it appears judges and others have used their godless interpretations of the Constitution as weapons to crumble the morality of the nation.
On the Jefferson Memorial in Washington are the words: "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" Jefferson is truly weeping.
THOMAS J. PIERPOINT
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- PRUDEN: Waiting for Nelson Mandela without the tears
- Oregon fails to sign up single person on health care website as states struggle
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report